Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Climbing Mount Doom in Porto Rafti, Greece

There is a mountain across the street from where I live. The one I can see from our Artemis Hotel has been named "Thorn Mountain" by some of the guys in my group because it is covered in thorn bushes. Beyond Thorn Mountain is a valley and then a taller mountain, named "Mount Doom." Supposedly, it has an amazing view from the top and is worth the climb. My guy friends climb the mountains every chance they get - it makes them feel more "manly," I guess.
I had just finished working out but decided to go.

I was not ready for how strenuous it was! My feet were almost flexed back completely, trying to climb up! The guys ahead of me were bounding quickly up the mountain and I determined to stay up with them.

Below is a picture at the top of the first mountain, Thorn Mountain. I was so proud but the taller mountain in front of me was daunting. (L to R: Jake, Dylan, me, Matt, and Frank) The guys said we needed a picture flexing our biceps - whatever!
Now, here I am at the top of Mount Doom - the highest possible!
The view of the city of Porto Rafti and the blue harbor was breathtaking! Worth the climb!Victory! This old pillar was on the top of the mountain....
Our whole group at the top of Mount Doom - I set the camera up and ran in at the last second!
We got lost on the way back down and had to hike through many thorn bushes. My battle scars....

No comments: